1. Use a soft toothbrush. And don’t forget to switch it out for a new one after about four months of use.
2. A light grip is perfect. Suggest that your child pretend that the toothbrush is a magic wand!
3. Use the proper position. Hold the brush in a 45 degree angle from the teeth and brush in small circles—it’s easier on the gums.
4. Aim for two minutes. You can suggest the child brush her top teeth for one minute, then her bottom teeth for two, or break it up some other way.
5. Don’t forget to brush the tongue, too. Brushing the tongue helps fight bad breath and offers an extra measure of bacteria elimination.