Thanksgiving is synonymous with family, friends … and an overload of food. Rather than encouraging your family to eat themselves sick, opt out of the traditional pie desserts and offer up some of these healthier but no-less-yummy dessert ideas courtesy of Jenna Fernandes, CEO of CareBooker.com.
- The Caramel Apple Bar: This is an activity the whole family can participate in making. Start an assembly line by cutting apples into slices and inserting a candy stick for easier decorating. Once the prep is complete, dip the apples in chocolate or caramel and arrange the family’s favorite toppings such as sprinkles, coconut or crushed candy pieces to top this sweet treat.
- Turkey Muffin: This is a great dessert to strike a creative cord in kids, and it’s perfect for Thanksgiving (obviously!). First, bake your favorite pumpkin muffin recipe and prep the decorating ingredients. Create the turkey feathers with sliced red and green apples, cut a small beak from a thin slice of carrot, and finish off with squeezable icing for eyes. This simple recipe will turn this dessert into an art project.
- Yogurt-dipped strawberries: Yogurt-dipped strawberries are a favorite, guilt-free dessert that includes healthy Greek yogurt and strawberries. Greek yogurt is high in protein and offers a thicker consistency that makes it perfect for dipping. Dip the strawberries in Greek yogurt, set on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, and allow them to set in the freezer for one hour before enjoying with friends and family.
- Baked Apples: Apples are always a fall favorite, and this baked apple recipe will become an instant hit on any family dinner table or dessert party tray this season. After preheating the oven to 350 degrees, slice apples and place in a baking dish. Finish off with a dusting of brown sugar and cinnamon for added fall flavor and bake for 15 minutes.
- “Cocoa-Nut” Bananas: This healthy treat is a perfect alternative to the traditional fall flavors. Start with slicing bananas down the middle. Roll each slice in cocoa powder and shake off the excess. Finish these healthy treats by rolling the slices in unsweetened coconut flakes and arrange on a fun tray.
Jenna Fernandes is the CEO of CareBooker.com, the “OpenTable” for booking in-home family care services such as babysitting, pet care, tutoring and more. She enjoys spending time with her husband and two dogs (a Min Pin named Scooby and Great Dane named Casper) as well as playing golf, tennis and chess.