It’s not that fireworks aren’t dangerous. It’s that sparklers aren’t safe, either.
“Sparklers actually burn at 2000 degrees Fahrenheit,” explains Nychelle Fleming, a public affairs specialist for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. “That’s as hot as a blowtorch. It’s hot enough to burn metal.” If you insist on using sparklers for a celebration, exercise extreme caution. Keep a bucket of water nearby, don’t touch someone with a sparkler and don’t wear loose-fitting clothing. A safer bet: Take your family to see a fireworks show handled by professionals.