- Yield: 28 pieces
- 14-- thin slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 8slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
- 8ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- -- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 28-- asparagus spears, cooked tender-crisp
- -- Melted unsalted butter
- Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin. Combine the bacon, cream cheese, and lemon zest. Spread an even layer of the cream cheese mixture on each flattened bread slice.
- Place 2 asparagus spears, with the tips facing in opposite directions, on one edge of each bread slice. Roll up each slice like a jellyroll. Cut each roll in half and place seam side down on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Preheat broiler. Brush the tops and sides of the roll-ups with melted butter. Broil 6 inches from the heat until lightly browned and tosted. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Fabulous Five Inc.’s Always Enough Thyme (Fabulous Five, Inc., 2001).