Bacon, Kale and Raisin Strata
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 65 minutes
- 8slices smoked bacon, diced
- 2 leeks (white part only), chopped
- 1pound kale, chard, greens or spinach, cut into thin strips
- 1cup raisins
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly gound black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3cups half-and-half
- 12large eggs
- 8cups challah bread or brioche, cubed
- 1/2cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2cups (6 ounces) grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, sauté bacon and leeks until bacon is crisp and leeks are tender, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, kale, raisins, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until kale is wilted. (You may need to add the kale in batches.)
- Combine half-and-half and eggs in a large bowl. Beat until blended. Stir in bread cubes, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, rosemary and 1 cup Gruyère. Add vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove strata from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyère.
- Bake 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle of the strata comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
—Recipe by Jill Melton, Relish Editor
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 580
- Fat 38g
- Cholesterol 349mg
- Sodium 783mg
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 15g
- Protein 25g