Brussels Sprouts with Lemon, Thyme and Caramelized Onions
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
If using fresh Brussels sprouts, trim the bottom off each before slicing. If using frozen, take them out of the freezer and refrigerate them a day prior to making this dish so you can easily slice them.
- 2pounds fresh or frozen Brussel sprouts, sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1large Spanish onion, chopped
- -- Water, optional
- 4-- springs fresh thyme, leaves stripped from stem, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- -- finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- -- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add half the olive oil. Add the onions and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until well browned. Add a sprinkling of water to prevent sticking, if necessary.
- Add thyme and lemon zest and saute 1 minute. Remove onions to a plate; set aside.
- Return skillet to stove and add remaining oil to the pan over medium heat. Add sliced Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper and cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender but still al dente. Return onions to pan, combine well and heat through.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 87
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat .6g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 29mg
- Carbohydrate 12g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 4g