Coconut Curry Chicken for the Slow Cooker
- Yield: 8 servings
Chicken thighs add a tremendous amount of flavor to the recipe, but you can easily substitute chicken breasts for a lower-fat version. Keep the chicken pieces whole—after their turn in the slow cooker, they’ll be falling-apart tender.
- 2tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2cup water
- 2pounds boneless, skinless chicken
- 2medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package baby carrots
- 3 lime leaves
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro and chopped cashew (optional)
- 6cups cooked white rice
- To prepare for the freezer: Combine curry paste, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and water in a large bowl; stir until combined. Add chicken, onions, bell peppers and carrots; toss to coat with curry mixture. Divide between two large freezer bags. Label bags and tape together, attaching a copy of this recipe. Place in freezer. Put a sticky note on coconut milk and rice.
- To cook: Remove bags from freezer and let thaw about 30 minutes. Empty bags into a 6-quart slow cooker; cover and cook on LOW 8 hours. Add coconut milk 30 minutes before serving.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Spoon rice into bowls and top with soup. Sprinkle cilantro and cashews on top, if using. Makes 3 quarts.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 430
- Fat 16g
- Cholesterol 110mg
- Sodium 390mg
- Carbohydrate 47g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 27g