Green Chile Pepper Jack Cheeseburgers
- Yield: 4 servings
- Poblano sauce:
- 4cloves garlic
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1/4cup water
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2teaspoon cumin
- 1/2teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2pounds ground sirloin
- 1cup (4 ounces) shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Vegetable oil
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into strips
For the sauce:
- Blacken the garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Process the garlic, poblano chiles, water, cilantro, lime juice, cumin and oregano in a blender until pureed.
For the cheeseburgers:
- Preheat the grill on medium.
- Divide the ground sirloin into 4 equal portions.
- Place 1/4 cup of the cheese in the center of each portion and shape the ground sirloin around the cheese to form a patty.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the patties until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees, turning once.
- Brush the cut sides of the buns with oil and grill for 1 minute or until light brown.
- Serve the cheeseburgers on the buns topped with the poblano chile strips and the sauce
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005)